An Early Fascination with Light


    Philip Koch, Inland II, oil on canvas, 45 x 60 inches, 2020


Paintings are about what fascinates us. 

People often remark my paintings celebrate light and shadow. This began for me in an unusual way. 

When I was very young my family lived in a deep forest on the northernmost border of the US. I confessed to my father I worried about getting lost. He smiled and told me I could find my way by studying the sunlight- that we lived so far north the shadows cast by the trees pretty much always pointed north. I was charmed by the idea and found it worked. 

Now years later the idea that the light keeps us from getting lost seems an apt metaphor for living. 

 

Popular posts from this blog

Edward Hopper- Looking Out

Maier Museum of Art Acquires Work by Philip Koch

Edward Hopper's Poetry of Empty Rooms