Burchfield Penney Art Center Exhibition- Updated




My painting Winter Sky, oil on canvas, 40 x 60 inches.




I have been busy with painting (very busy) and haven't posted a lot of the photos of the wonderful museum exhibition the Burchfield Penney Art Center has staged of the work I made during nearly 3 years of my being the museum's Artist in Residence. Here are a few photos from the show- I posted additional images Saturday 5/26.



Getting ready to speak to the museum's docents 
before the opening of the exhibition,




 My wife Alice with Late Autumn Sun, oil on canvas, 36 x 48 inches
at left and East Aurora Barns, oil on canvas, 36 x 54 inches on the right.




Chestnut Ridge Panorama, oil on canvas, 36 x 48 inches, This
is a painting that started out as a summertime painting. As I
worked on it it seemed to want to be a story about the colder
months.




Alice with the row of small oils on the far wall.




I apologize for all the photos that include me but they're the only
installation shots we have. Uncharted III, oil on canvas, 36 x 48
inches.




Late Autumn Sun, oil on canvas, 36 x 48 inches. 





Silence, oil on canvas, 34 x 60 inches.




 East Aurora Barns, oil on canvas, 36 x 54 inches.




Spring,  oil on canvas, 36 x 36 inches




Three winer-themed paintings, Left: Chestnut Ridge Panorama, 
oil on canvas, 36 x 48 inches, Center: Silence, oil on canvas, 
34 x 60 inches, Right: Uncharted III, oil on canvas, 36 x 48 
inches.




At right: Evergreen, oil on canvas, 30 x 60 inches, center: Charles
Burchfield's Salem Home, oil on canvas, 32 x 64 inches.





At left: Mansard Roof, oil on canvas, 36 x 72 inches. This painting
is based on drawings I made in downtown Buffalo, NY of the structure
that the artist Charles Burchfield made the centerpiece of one of his
most famous paintings, Rainy Night, that is now in the collection of
San Diego Museum of Art.





Evergreen, oil on canvas, 36 x 54 inches.



Here's the outside of the museum in Buffalo, NY.





Right across from the large galleries that hold my work is the museum's feature exhibition of Charles Burchfield's paintings that related closely to the dreams he wrote down in his journal. It is a real honor to be showing next to his work.




In the next few days I will do a separate blog post about the work on paper side of this show. One of the big discoveries for me during the time I was the Artist in Residence at the museum was how central the act of make in drawings was to Charles Burchfield. This warms my heart as I've always felt drawing is really the enormous tool for an artist. But more on that later...




Popular posts from this blog

Edward Hopper- Looking Out

Maier Museum of Art Acquires Work by Philip Koch

Edward Hopper's Poetry of Empty Rooms