Painting in Buffalo and Bar Harbor

 

I am just returned from two back-to-back painting trips in just a little over two weeks. First I flew to Buffalo, NY on my 7th trip for my being the Artist in Residence at the Burchfield Penney Art Center. No sooner had I returned to Baltimore than my wife Alice and I flew up to Maine for a week in Bar Harbor. Only last night was I able to unpack my suitcase and lay out the oil paintings I've started on my studio floor. As you can see, I kept busy. The upper right and lower right oils are from Buffalo and the rest are Maine paintings. I will be going back into each oil to finish it back in my studio.




The Burchfield Residency has been an amazing experience and I've written about it many times on this blog over the last period. Bar Harbor on Mount Desert Island has been a personally meaningful painting destination for me as Alice and I honeymooned there many years ago and fell in love with the place.





Here's a selection of photos from the Maine trip. I have some pressing painting work to take care of so I'll just post the photos without much commentary. 



Eagle Lake from Cadillac Mt.





Above and below are photos of me set up on Cadillac Mountain to paint.





Mt. Desert Island has wonderful glades of white birches. So delicately beautiful. As you can see I am not exactly suffering on this trip.







Starting to pack up wet oil paintings for the flight home. The weather all week in Maine was perfect for painting. Buffalo provided more of a challenge in that department so I wasn't able to get as much accomplished there. Still, I now have lots of new ideas to work on.






My wife Alice posing in front of Mt. Desert's distinctive little mountains called The Bubbles.


Popular posts from this blog

Edward Hopper- Looking Out

Maier Museum of Art Acquires Work by Philip Koch

Edward Hopper's Poetry of Empty Rooms