Animals in my Studio!

Y



I came downstairs this morning to my studio and this is the view that greeted me.

This is my cat. He is my constant companion when I'm working in the studio. Mostly keeps me company but rarely intrudes. Sometimes I wonder what he thinks about the paintings I'm making. Probably, as cats are such keen observers of what they see, he would have great advice for me about the paintings. So far though, he keeps his suggestions to himself, so much so that I've come to wonder if he cares much for painting at all.

Yet he's old and stiff- for him to drag himself over to the window and nose open the blinds to look out makes me realize he's a sensitive guy after all.  

Yesterday I had taken the painting I've been working on for weeks off the easel and hung it on the wall in my front room. And the cat, prophetically, is looking out the window, wondering what we should paint next. You have to admire that in a cat, this eagerness to always see what's coming around the next bend. I'll have to see if I can't get something really special happening on the easel for him.

Here's the painting that was on the easel, Deep Forest Pool, oil on panel, 32 x 40", 2011. 


Down at the bottom of the photo are two of the studio cat's closest friends, an unnamed bird at left and Bob the Rabbit at right.


Popular posts from this blog

Edward Hopper- Looking Out

Maier Museum of Art Acquires Work by Philip Koch

Edward Hopper's Poetry of Empty Rooms